Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Back in Dali (大理)

Location: Dali, Yunnan province, China
Local Time: October 4, 2006

Well, I rode the train for 40 hours from Beijing to get back to Yunnan province. Alone this time, which is a lot less entertaining that when Val is around.

I was on the bottom bunk, which means I am closer to the bathroom when I get the late night urge. On the flip side, it also means that the other 5 people in my section think my bed is a bench during the day.

I read my way through 3 books, and did 15 suduko puzzles from the book I bought in Beijing (北京). I also ate my way through a loaf of bread and a couple of lovely cheeses I bought from Jenny Lou's in Beijing before I left. A nice cream cheese (not Philidelphia Cream Cheese, much better) with herbs and garlic, and a chunk of something new, that was tasty but I unfortunately can't remember the name of.

I got off the train in Kunming (昆明) this afternoon, around 12:30. I went to the usual bus station, and asked about a bus to Dali. I said, I don't want to go to Xiaguan (下关), I want to go to Dali (大理). She says yes, 76 元. I pass my hundred over, and she looks at me and says, bus doesn't got to Dali, only Xiaguan.

I made her give the money back, then I went walking, trying to find the other bus station I saw mentioned in the guidebook. I did find it, and booked an express ticket to Dali. It said Dali on the sign, on the ticket. The bus, however, said Xiaguan, though there was a sign sitting beside it that said Dali.

As you might have guessed, we arrived in Xiaguan and the bus stopped.

My seatmate told me to take the #4 local bus to Dali, and I did. Just as fast, or faster, than the taxi Val and I took last time we came to Dali, for only 1.5 元 instead of 40 元.

Guess what? They are celebrating here too, and the friendly little hotel Val and I found south of the main town is full, except for a dorm bed, which is where I am. 20 元 a night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home