Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Monday, November 21, 2005

Visa

Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Local Time: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 4:26pm

I went to get a visa extension today. Found the place, no problem, about a half hour walk. Then I filled in a form and stood in line for half an hour. The lady gave me a recite and told me to stand in another line to pay. So, I went to the other line. While half way through the line, I saw the sign, exact change in Nepali rupees. I had thought you paid in American dollars. At the border, you can ONLY pay in American dollars.

So, I rummaged through my pockets and collected everything I had. I needed 2206.50 Nepali rupees. I had 5170, and some spare change. So, no way. If only I hadn't spent that hundred rupee note at the bakery the night before. Like I needed more cheese buns and cookies.

I left the line, and went looking for a place to spend a little money so I could get some change. Along the way, I happened to find the Singapore Airlines office. Nice, perfect. I went in and changed my ticket. There must be some kind of charge involved, right?

My ticket said, I fly from Delhi to Singapore, short stopover there, then from Singapore to Beijing. I lengthened my stopover in Singapore from a few hours to a few months. For free. No charge.

Hmm. However, the lady says, there is a $12USD tax for entering Singapore to stay for a while. Okay, can I pay in Nepali rupees.

No.

Hmmm. But I can get change in Nepali rupees.

Perfect. Paid my tax, got my change, and walked back to submit my visa application. An hour and a half before I could get it back.

So, I went off and had a nice plate of chowmein for lunch, with buttered nan.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes yes, but what we all really want to know is--how did you pay for lunch?!

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home