Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Cold...

Location: Nangi, Nepal
Local Time: Sunday, Dec 25, 2005 - 8:06am

Well, Sunday comes again. Another week begins.

You know, it is not that it is especially cold here. I don't have a thermometer so I'm guessing a little, but I would say 5 - 10 C during the day, maybe 0 or -1 at night. There is frost covering the grass every morning, and the sun chases it off each day. Water pipes, which are occasionally above ground, do not freeze over night.

No, it is not that it is especially cold. It is that it is always cold. There is no warm place to go to warm up. Fires are not used for heating in Nepali culture, only for cooking. That is not to say the Nepali won't huddle around a warm fire when it is available, but they don't light a fire to heat the room up.

A perfect example is the round house where I live. There is no fireplace at all because we have a gas stove for cooking. Naturally there would be no need of a fireplace.

The only time I am warm is after a couple hours in bed, when I've had a chance to warm the blankets up and circulation finally returns to my feet. The quilt they provided is thick, I have my sleeping bag, and I pile my extra cloths, sweaters and coats on top of that. Works great.

Until I have to get out of bed in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home