Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Friday, November 25, 2005

Nangi

Location: Nangi, Nepal
Local Time: Friday, Nov 25, 2005 - 4:13pm

Hi everyone, I'm back. There is internet access in Nangi. I was fairly sure there would be, but I was just covering my bases.

Nangi. It is a village, in the Himalayas. About a 7 hour walk from Beni. Beni, is about a 4 hour bus ride from Pokhara. (Although, for me it was 6 hour bus ride. From 10:30am to 4:30pm.)

I will be here in Nangi for about 2 months, unless I go crazy before then and have to escape. But there is internet access, so chances of craziness are small.

Here are more details about Nangi, and what is happening here.

What the heck am I doing here? Well, not knowing me, they have naively agreed to let me help with their network.

For the technically inclined, further details.

For the less technically inclined, these guys have built a wireless connection over the mountain from the nearest city to their village. It is part of their education program.

So, doubtless, the question occurs to some of you (probably Mr. Lawrence) is, how I could travel half way around the world, then 24 hours by bus and train, then another 7 hours walking so deep into the mountains that there are no roads, only to find a computer network and a bunch of computers to play with.

It's a gift.

2 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

hey... i am a former nangian :)
have fun the people are lovely. if you get a chance go tell Samjhana (she lives near the camping ground) that Pamela sends her love. Also tell thes kids in 12th grade :)

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're living a Douglas Adams book... "The Network At The End Of The Universe"... :)

Only you, dear Jacob, only you...

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home