Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sunday, December 04, 2005

What Goes Down Must Come Up

Location: Nangi, Nepal
Local Time: Sunday, Dec 4, 2005 - 3:23pm

Well, I'm back in Nangi again. Over 6 days of walking, and 5 nights of sleeping, I was in Nangi, Shitka, Kibang, Histan, Kibang, Paudwar, Kibang, Tatopani, Nancheng, Tatopani, Kibang, Shitka and Nangi.

I never slept in the same place twice. Working on computers in the Himalayas involves a lot of walking. Every step you take down a hillside, means a step you take up a hillside later on. You learn to really love the rare flat places.

I had dhal bhaat for breakfast and dinner nearly every day. For those who have not sampled this fine dish, it is a lot of rice, lentil soup, curried fried potatoes and a small amount of what seems to be pure crushed chilies. The lentil soup is normally poured over the rice and mixed up to give the rice flavor, and it works great. Makes the rice really edible. The chilies are also eaten with the rice, a little at a time. The potatoes are great all on their own.

In Paudwar I had dido. Dido is a dough, made of water and corn (or millet) flour cooked until it is thicker than cookie dough. Then you dip it in crushed chilies and bite a small piece off which you are suppose to swallow whole. No chewing. The cook was quite insistent on that point. She said there is a skill to eating dido and if I didn't know how I shouldn't have any, but I wanted to try it at least.

In Histan I had this fabulous tea brewed with some kind of extract from the local trees. Seems the tea has a different name in different parts of Nepal.

In Tatopani I soaked in the hot springs for an hour. Since I had been nearly a week without a shower of any kind, this was as close to heaven as you get on this earth. Tatopani is on the main tourist trail, so that night I ate very well. Not dhal bhat. Don't get me wrong, dhal bhat is great, but not breakfast and dinner every day.

I have been without Internet access for 4 days, and when I got back to Nangi, thinking FINALLY, I would get to check e-mail, the power was out. It has been out for over 24 hours now. No idea why or when it will be back. I think I'm running off of the local power right now to make this posting. Only 2 computers and the printer are going at the moment due to the power situation.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Lowprey to see about setting up Internet access there. They don't have power at all there, so we'll be taking batteries.

Later guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home