Name:
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Another Day At The Office

Location: Nangi, Nepal
Local Time: Thursday, Dec 8, 2005 - 6:58pm

Well, I spent today, and yesterday, working to get connected to a Linksys wireless access point. I plug the cable in, run the config program, and nothing. Darn thing. I got the manual, and ran through it on how to reset to factory defaults hoping to use a cross over cable and connect to the web management utility. The manual says, push the hard reset button. There is even a helpful diagram showing the two ports on the back of the access point, and the reset button beside the two ports.

My access point has 3 ports on the back, and no reset button.

I guess there was an upgrade.

Since I don't know the currently configured IP address, I thought I'd just scan the IP range with nmap. So, I downloaded it. It crashes on my Windows 98 laptop. Did I mention I'm working with a cutting edge PII laptop running Windows 98?

So, I downloaded Python and wrote my own IP scanner. It is over there working right now. It is a LOT slower than nmap.

I'm going back to the Linksys site to check for older versions of docs and software for the access point.

Tomorrow, I'm off again. I'm going across the valley to a town called Ramche, or something like that. Should be about a 2 hour walk, so we plan to go in the morning, and be back in the evening. We are trying to connect the clinic in Ramche to the network for tele-medicine.

I'm telling you, the equipment here is ancient, but the things they want to do with it are cutting edge.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Windoze? You didn't format it and install SuSE?

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home